Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, MD, 2016
University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, MPH, 2010
University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA, BS, Biology & Art History (minor) 2009
Awards and Honors
2020 AO Spine/Depuy Resident Travel Grant
2020 NC Spine Society Resident Research Grant
2019 CNS Resident Fellows Program (2 year commitment)
2019 Feagin Leadership Fellow (1 year commitment)
2016 Jewell Medical Student Scholarship
2016 Walter E. Dandy Neurosurgery 101 Scholarship
2015 Nicholas Skala Student Scholarship
2014 Freidinger Medical Scholarship
2013 Shaaber Medical Scholarship
2013 AMSA/USMLE-Rx Step 1 Scholarship
2012 Saul H. Makman, M.D. Memorial Endowment Scholarship
2006-09 Dean’s Honors List
2009 National Society of Leadership and Success
2009 Sigma Alpha Pi Honor Society
2009 UC Irvine Undergraduate Research Symposium
2008 Golden Key International Honor Society
2008 UC Irvine Undergraduate Research Symposium
2008 UC Irvine Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program Fellow
2007 National Society of Collegiate Scholars
Outcomes research following spinal surgery, and tumor resection.
Watching and playing basketball; cooking; trying new restaurants; traveling, and spending time with family and friends.
- Wang TY, Mehta VA, Sankey EW, Abd-El-Barr MM, Shaffrey CI, Than KD. The impact of hardware and implant surface technology on cervical and thoracolumbar fusion. (Accepted by Operative Neurosurgery)
- Wang TY, Mehta VA, Gabr M, Sankey EW, Bwensa A, Goodwin CR, Karikari IO, Chi JH, Abd-El-Barr MM. Percutaneous lumbar interbody fusion with an expandable titanium cage through Kambin’s Triangle: A Case Series with Initial Clinical and Radiographical Results. Accepted by International Journal of Spine Surgery. Jan 2021.
- Wang TY, Price M, Mehta VA, Bergin S, Sankey EW, Gupta DK, Karikari IO, Than KD, Goodwin CR, Gottfried ON, Shaffrey CI, Abd-El-Barr MM. Preoperative Optimization of Patients Undergoing Elective Spine Surgery. PMID 33454498
- Wang TY, Mehta VA, Sankey EW, Howell E, Ramirez L, Brown CR, Goodwin CR, Isaacs RE, Karikari IO, Abd-El-Barr MM. Characterization and Rate of Symptomatic Adjacent Segment Disease Following Index Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion: A Single-Institution, Multi-Surgeon Analysis. Accepted to Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine
- Wang TY, Mehta VA, Dalton T, Sankey EW, Than KD, Goodwin CR, Karikari IO, Shaffrey CI, Abd-El-Barr MM. Biomechanics, Evaluation, and Management of Subaxial Cervical Spine Fractures: A Review of the Literature. Journal of Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery. Dec 2020. PMID 33281051
- Mehta VA, Wang TY, Sankey EW, Goodwin CR, Abd-El-Barr MM, Karikari IO. Prevention of Proximal Junctional Kyphosis or Failure: Soft Landings and Tension Band Augmentation. Techniques in Orthopaedics. March 2021.
- Mehta VA, Van Bellegham F, Price M, Jaykel M, Wang TY, Ramirez L, Erickson MM, Than KD, Gupta DK, Abd-El-Barr MM, Karikari IO, Shaffrey IO, Goodwin CR. “Hematocrit as a predictor of preoperative transfusion-associated complications in spine surgery: A NSQIP study”. Accepted by Journal of Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery. Oct 2020. PMID 33127163
- Sankey EW, Mehta VA, Wang TY, Than TT, Goodwin CR, Karikari IO, Shaffrey CI, Abd-El-Barr MM, Than KD. The Medicolegal Impact of Misplaced Pedicle and Lateral Mass Screws on Spine Surgery in the United States. Neurosurgery Focus. Nov 2020. PMID 33130620
- Mehta VA, Spears C, Abdelgadir J, Wang TY, Sankey EW, Zomorodi A. Management of Unruptured Incidentally Found Intracranial Saccular Aneurysms. Accepted by Neurosurgical Reviews. PMID 33025187
- Park, C, Howell E, Mehta VA, Ramirez L, Torok J, Floyd S, Kirkpatrick J, Goodwin CR. Pain Outcomes Following Single Dose Versus 3-dose Hypofractionated Stereotactic Body Radiation Treatment for Spinal Metastasis. Journal of Neurosurgery. Nov 2020. PMID 33157523
- Sankey EW, Srinivasan E, Mehta VA, Wang TY, Friedman AH. Perioperative Assessment of Cerebellar Masses and Cerebellar Cognitive Affective Syndrome: A Review of the Literature. Published by World Neurosurgery. Sept 2020. PMID 32949806.
- Srinivasan E, Mehta VA, Smith G, Than KD, Terry A. Klippel-Feil Syndrome with Cervical Diastematomyelia in an Adult with Extensive Cervico-Thoracic Fusions: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Accepted to World Neurosurgery in April 2020 PMID 32339744
- Wang TY, Hamouda F, Mehta VA, Sankey EW, Yarbrough CY, Lark R, Abd-El-Barr MM. Effect of Instrument Navigation on C-Arm Radiation and Time During Spinal Procedures: A Clinical Evaluation. International Journal of Spine Surgery. June 2020. PMID 32699760.
- Wang TY, Mehta VA, Sankey EW, Gupta D, Than KD, Goodwin CR, Muhammad MM, Sankey EW, Karikari IO. Awake Percutaneous Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion with Expandable Cage and Robotic-Assisted Navigation and Instrumentation: Case Report and Review of Literature. Published by Interdisciplinary Neurosurgery, Feb 2020: Advanced Techniques and Case Management.
- Mehta VA, Wang TY, Sankey EW, Howell EP, Goodwin CR, Levy J, Friedman A. Restarting Therapeutic Anticoagulation After Elective Craniotomy for Patients with Chronic Atrial Fibrillation: A Review of the Literature. World Neurosurgery. February 2020. PMID 32036067.
- Pennington Z, Swanson M, Lubelski D, Mehta VA, Alvin MD, Fuhrman H, Benzel EC, Mroz TE. Comparing the Short-Term Cost-Effectiveness of Epidural Steroid Injections and Medical Management Alone for Discogenic Lumbar Radiculopathy. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery. Jan 2020. PMID 31954364.
- Pennington Z, Mehta VA, Elliot C, Lubelski D, Benzel EC, Mroz TE. Quality of Life and Cost Implications of Pseudarthrosis after Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion and its Subsequent Revision Surgeries. World Neurosurgery. Sept 2019. PMID 31568900.
- Wang TY, Hamouda F, Sankey EW, Mehta VA, Yarbrough C, Abd-El-Barr MM. Accuracy, Radiation Time, and Radiation Exposure using Computer-Assisted Instrumentation Navigation vs. Conventional C-arm Fluoroscopy for Spine Surgery Instrumentation. American Journal of Roentgenology. Sept 2019. PMID 31063421.
- Alvin MD, Mehta VA, Halabi H, Lubelski D, Benzel EC, Mroz TE. Cost-Effectiveness of Cervical Epidural Steroid Injections: A 3-Month Pilot. Global Spine Journal. April 2019. PMID 30984492.
- Mehta VA, Harward S, Sankey EW, Nayar G, Codd P. Evidence Based Diagnosis and Management of Chronic Subdural Hematoma: A Review of the Literature. Journal of Clinical Neurosciences. April 2018. PMID 29428263.
- Mehta VA, Friedman, AH. Research Update in Neurosciences for Neurosurgeons Course Report. Research Update in Neurosciences for Neurosurgeons Annual Report. November 2018.
- Mehta VA, Than KD. “Minimally Invasive Lumbar Separation Surgery”. Published in CNS Nexus. January 2020.
- Mehta VA, Than KD. “Minimally Invasive Lateral Lumbar Corpectomy for a Pathological Fracture”. Published in CNS Nexus. January 2020.
- Mehta VA, Than KD. “Minimally Invasive Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion for Coronal Deformity”. Published in CNS Nexus. January 2020.
- Mehta VA, Than KD. Commentary for “Impact of Dominant Symptom on 12-Month Patient Reported Outcomes for Patients Undergoing Lumbar Spine Surgery: A Quality Outcomes Database Analysis”. Published in Neurosurgery.
- Mehta VA, Than KD. Commentary for “Predictors of the best outcomes following minimally invasive surgery for grade 1 degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis”. Published in Neurosurgery.
- Mehta VA, Than KD. Commentary for “Utility of the Hospital Frailty Risk Score for Predicting Adverse Outcomes in Degenerative Spine Surgery Cohorts”. Published in Neurosurgery.
- Mehta VA, Than KD. Commentary for “Present and Future Spinal Robotic and Enabling Technologies”. Published in Neurosurgery.
- Mehta VA, Than KD. Commentary for “Novel Applications of Spinal Navigation in Deformity and Oncology Surgery – Beyond the Pedicle Screw”. Published in Neurosurgery.
Mehta VA, Bukenya G, Sankey EW, Goodwin CR. The Role of Decompression Surgery in Spinal Metastasis. In 100 Dilemmas in Neurocritical and Neurosurgery Care.
Wang TY, Mehta VA, Berry-Candelario J, Karikari IO, Isaacs R. Disease-Specific Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery Approaches: Lumbar Spondylolisthesis. In Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery: Surgical Techniques and Disease Management. Springer. (accepted, pending publication)
Mehta VA, Lubelski D, Anderson DT, Benzel EC. Spinal Conditions Associated with Congenital Disorders. In Spine Surgery: Current Concepts and Evidence, McGraw-Hill. (accepted, pending publication)