2019-2020 Fellow, Surgical Neuro-Oncology, Department of Neurosurgery and Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center,
Duke University Medical Center
2018-2019 Chief resident, Department of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center
2013-2018 Resident physician, Department of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center
2008-2013 MD, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center School of Medicine. AΩA class of 2013
2004-2008 BA with Distinction, University of Colorado at Boulder – Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology;
Philosophy minor; Neuroscience certificate
Neuro-oncology, with a focus on complex and eloquent tumor resection; awake craniotomy and brain mapping; keyhole, minimally-invasive, trans-sulcal and endoscope-assisted resection techniques; laser interstitial thermal therapy; and radiosurgery.
Clinical, translational, and collaborative approaches to treating primary and metastatic brain tumors, with a focus on immunotherapy, intratumoral drug delivery, novel radiosurgical paradigms and adjuncts, and laser interstitial thermal therapy.
Honors & Awards
- 2019 Resident Teaching Award. Awarded by Duke University Department of Neurosurgery for “dedication to resident and medical student education.”
- 2017 Resident Researcher Award. Awarded by Duke University Department of Neurosurgery for excellence in research.
- 2015 Golden Apple Award. Nominated for “outstanding dedication to medical student education” at Duke University Medical School (additional nominations in 2016, 2017 and 2019).
- 2014 RUNN Award. Recognized by Duke University Department of Neurosurgery for performance on the ABNS primary examination by the opportunity to represent the department at the SNS Reasearch Update in Neuroscience for Neurosurgeons (RUNN) course.
- 2013 AΩA (Alpha Omega Alpha).
- 2012 UCHSC Student-Organized Scholarship (SOS) Award. Prestigious peer-nominated scholarship awarded to the medical student who most “inspires a collaborative spirit among the SOM student body and contributes to the learning and enrichment of peers.”
- 2011 Best in Show, 26th annual UCHSC Graduate Research Forum. Project entitled VEGF Expression in Human Meningioma Is Hypoxia-Induced and Abolished by Digoxin-Mediated HIF-1α Antagonism.
- 2011 Harry K. Albert Merit Scholarship. Among most prestigious scholarships offered to UCHSC medical students; awarded for "academic achievement and community service while in medical school."
- 2010 Campbell Scholarship. Merit-based scholarship for UCHSC medical students, awarded for demonstrating “academic excellence” during preclinical years.
- 2009, 2010 Promotion with Academic Excellence. Recognized by the UCHSC school of medicine for performance in preclinical years.
- 2008 Community Health Resource Program Graduation Sash. Presented for “contributions to community health peer education” at the University of Colorado.
- 2008 Medal of Distinction. Presented by the University of Colorado MCDB department for exceptional academic performance.
- 2004-2008 Norlin Scholarship. Among the most prestigious scholarships awarded to University of Colorado undergraduates. A four-year merit-based enrichment and full-ride scholarship program recognized with a medal at graduation.
- 2004-2005 Kittredge Honors Program. Residential honors program at the University of Colorado.
- 2004 RPI Math and Science Medal. Prestigious $100,000 scholarship recognizing “superlative achievement of promising secondary school students who have distinguished themselves in mathematics and science.”
Playing, coaching, and watching hockey; snowboarding, road biking, camping, hiking, backpacking, and lifting.
1. E Sankey, V Tsvankin, M Grabowski, G Nayar, K Batich, A Risman, C Champion, A Salama, CR Goodwin, PE Fecci. Operative and Perioperative Considerations in the Management of Brain Metastasis. Cancer Medicine: accepted 9/2019, pending publication.
2. V Tsvankin, R Hashizume, H Katagi, C Lascola, T Venkatraman, B Burrus, O Becher, E Thompson (Jun 2019). ABC Transporter Inhibition Plus Dexamethasone Enhances the Efficacy of Convection Enhanced Delivery In H3.3K27M Mutant Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma. Neurosurgery: accepted, Epub ahead-of print (PMID 31225627)
3. TY Wang, SC Harward II, V Tsvankin, H Bell, L Charalambous, S Adil, DJ Englot, CR Goodwin, IO Karikari, RE Isaacs, MD, MO Krucoff (Feb 2019). Neurological outcomes following surgical or conservative management of spontaneous spinal epidural abscesses: a systematic review and meta-analysis of data from 1980 through 2016. Clin Spine Surg 32(1):18-29.
4. SW Yoon, V Tsvankin, Z Shrock, B Meng, M Dewhirst, PE Fecci, J Adamson, M Oldham (Mar 2018). Enhancing Radiation Therapy through Cherenkov Light Activated Phototherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 100(3):794-801.
5. V Tsvankin, C Lascola, T Venkatraman, B Burrus, O Becher, E Thompson (Nov 2017). Systemic and Convection-Enhanced Delivery of Dasatinib Extend Survival In Murine Histone H3.3K27M Mutant Brainstem Glioma. Neuro-Oncology 19(s6):vi191.
6. M.Oldham, SW Yoon, J Adamson, Z Shrock, V Tsvankin, PE Fecci, MW Dewhirst (Oct 2017). Enhancing Radiation Therapy Through Cherenkov Light-Activated Phototherapy from Clinical Megavoltage Treatment Beams. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 99(2):S229-230.
7. V Tsvankin, E Howell, PE Fecci (Jul 2017). Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy for Radiation Necrosis/Adverse Inflammatory Responses to SRS. J Neurol Stroke 7(2):233.
8. SH Farber, V Tsvankin, JL Narloch, GJ Kim, AK Salama, G Vlahovic, KL Blackwell, JP Kirkpatrick, PE Fecci (Jun 2016). Embracing rejection: Immunologic trends in brain metastasis. Oncoimmunology. 5(7): e1172153
9. V Tsvankin, R Leung, B Amendolara, JS Sims, A Waziri, P Canoll, J Bruce. (Nov 2012) Targeting Regulatory T Cells By Intracranial Convection-Enhanced Delivery of Anti-CD25 Promotes Tumor Clearance in Murine Glioma. J Immunotherapy 35(9):783.
10. TR Sippel, J White, K Nag, V Tsvankin, MK Klaassen, BK Kleinschmidt-DeMasters, AE Waziri (Sept 2011). Neutrophil Degranulation and Immunosuppression in Patients with Glioblastoma: Restoration of Cellular Immune Function By Targeting Arginase I. Clin Cancer Res. 17(22): 6992-7002.
11. K Nag, J White, T Sippel, M Klaassen, V Tsvankin, AE Waziri (Nov 2010). Peripheral Immunosuppression in Patients with GBM is Mediated By Arginase 1-Secreting Granulocytes: Cellular Immunity Can Be Restored With Arginine Supplementation. Neuro-Oncology 12(s4):vi32.
12. V Tsvankin, J White, K Nag, M Graner, AE Waziri (Jan 2010). Rapid and Significant Induction of VEGF Expression in Human Meningioma Under Hypoxic Conditions. J Investigative Med. 58(1): 230-231.
13. SD Dyer, L Street, S Etzel, T Dennis, A Dienstfrey, V Tsvankin, W Tan (Jan 2007). Characterization Of Cell Samples From Measurements Of Spectroscopic Scattering Phase-Dispersion. Proc SPIE. 64469V:0V1-8.
14. V Tsvankin, D Belchenko, D Scott, W Tan (Jun 2007). Anisotropic Strain Effects On Vascular Smooth Muscle Physiology. Proc ASME. SBC2007-176284:805-6.
Abstracts, talks, and professional presentations
15. V Tsvankin, V Mehta. Cushing’s Disease: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Grand Rounds talk, Department of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center. April 24, 2019: Durham, NC.
16. SC Harward, V Tsvankin. Posterior Circulation Fusiform Aneurysms: Surgical Approaches and Bypass Considerations. Grand Rounds talk, Department of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center. Jan 16, 2019: Durham, NC.
17. V Tsvankin. Neurosurgery: A Consultant’s Perspective. Grand Rounds talk, Department of Emergency Medicine, Duke University Medical Center. Nov 1, 2018: Durham, NC.
18. V Tsvankin, E Sankey. Approach to Intramedullary Spinal Cord Tumors. Grand Rounds talk, Department of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center. Sept 26, 2018: Durham, NC.
19. V Tsvankin, E Sankey. Operative Considerations in Subaxial Cervical Spine Trauma. Grand Rounds talk, Department of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center. Aug 8, 2018: Durham, NC.
20. V Tsvankin, C Lascola, T Venkatraman, B Burrus, O Becher, E Thompson. ABC Transporter Inhibition Plus Vessel Permeability Reduction Enhances the Efficacy of CED in DIPG. AANS Tumor Section. April 2, 2018: New Orleans, LA.
21. TY Wang, SC Harward, V Tsvankin, H Bell, L Charalambous, S Adil, DJ Englot, CR Goodwin, IO Karikari, RE Isaacs, MO Krucoff. Neurological Outcomes Following Surgical or Conservative Management of Spontaneous Spinal Epidural Abscesses: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. AANS Spine Section. April 2, 2018: New Orleans, LA.
22. SC Harward II, V Tsvankin. Cortical Dysplasia and Extratemporal Lobe Epilepsy: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Grand Rounds talk, Department of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center. Sept 13, 2017: Durham, NC.
23. V Tsvankin, SC Harward. Thalamic Tumors: Anatomy and Approaches. Grand Rounds talk, Department of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center. July 12, 2017: Durham, NC.
24. V Tsvankin. Infections of the Vertebral Column: Overview and Operative Considerations. Grand Rounds talk, Department of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center. Jun 7, 2017: Durham, NC.
25. V Tsvankin. Brain Metastases: Overview and Operative Considerations. Grand Rounds talk, Department of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center. Mar 30, 2016: Durham, NC.
26. T Ung, V Tsvankin, J White, K Nag, M Graner, AE Waziri. VEGF Expression in Human Meningioma Is Hypoxia-Induced and Abolished by Digoxin-Mediated HIF-1α Antagonism. 26th Annual UCHSC Graduate Research Forum. Dec 13, 2011: Aurora, CO.
27. V Tsvankin, M Rangel, A Reinhart. Quit and Win: Smoking Cessation Programs at the University of Minnesota and University of Colorado. BACCHUS Network 6th National Tobacco Symposium on Young Adults. Mar 22-23, 2007: Denver, CO.
28. V Tsvankin, C Rockne, D Scott, W Tan. Study of Cell Micro/Nano Mechanics With A Polymer MEMS-Based Device. 15th United States National Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics: Session on Cell and Molecular Mechanics. Jun 25-30, 2006: Boulder, CO
29. W Tan, V Tsvankin, D Scott, L Xiao, H Qi, R Shandas. Coordinated Behaviors of Tissue Structural Proteins. Gordon Research Conference: Signal Transduction By Engineered Extracellular Matrices. Jul 2-7 2006: New London, CT.
Manuscripts and abstracts in submission
30. H Kemeny, A Elsamadicy, HS Farber, C Champion, S Lorrey, P Chongsathidkiet, K Woroniecka, X Cui, S Shen, K Rhodin, V Tsvankin, J Everitt, L Sanchez-Perez, P Healy, R McLendon, P Codd, I Dunn, and PE Fecci. Targeting PD-L1 Instigates Effective Anti-Tumor Immunity in a Murine Model of Cushing’s Disease. Clin Cancer Res, pending review of revised manuscript.
Manuscripts in preparation and current projects
31. V Tsvankin, E Sankey, PE Fecci. Antigen Presentation in Malignant Glioma: Current Challenges and Future Directions. Preparing manuscript.
32. V Tsvankin (2014 Nov). RUNN Annual Report. Research Update in Neuroscience for Neurosurgeons. Society for Neurological Surgeons: Woods Hole, MA.
33. V Tsvankin, DW Cain (2012). Open Letter. Letters to a Third-Year, vol. 2: 18-19. AMC Press: Aurora, CO.
34. V Tsvankin (2012). On the Inconvenience of Being Two Things. The Human Touch, vol. 5: 48-9. AMC Press: Aurora, CO.